Saturday, April 5, 2008

95th & Stony Island vs. Bagamoyo

If you are familiar with the intersection at 95th and Stony in Chicago just before you get on the expressway, then you will appreciate these pics (this goes for STL and NYC too)… the first two guys are selling everything: dishes, underwear, balloons, hats, toys, socks… whatever you need. Ahh, feels like home, LOL! There have definitely been other things that have reminded me of home, but every time I see one of these it makes me laugh...

...however, this last guy is selling machetes… umm yeah, m-a-c-h-e-t-e-s! I hope these aren’t for sale like this in the U.S.!

(It was definitely alarming at first to see men, women, and sometimes children walking around with random machetes, but they’re used a lot here for pretty much everything: gardening, chopping down trees, building houses, etc.)
....






1 comment:

VeeDee said...

Hi Aisha,

I'm catching up reading your wonderful blog on your adventure to these amazing sites in Africa. Wow! Thank you very much for sharing your awesome experiences with us! I love your articles and pictures. Your blog is so educational and helpful. I enjoyed reading about your visit to the school. I was impressed with the respectful young people appreciation for education. It's very sad that there is a large amount of young black people in US that don't have the same values for education. I'm happy you're doing well and having a phenomenal experience. Have a safe journey back home. Take care cousin! Love, Aviva (VeeDee)